Despite the Euro-American romanticizing of marriage as a strictly personal, emotional decision, the Jyotisha view is that marriage is a very strategic choice which must be carefully considered in light of its future impact on one’s public standing and complete life.
The 7th house in the birth chart is the marriage house. It is 10th-from-10th house. The 10th house is known as the Karma house. As the name suggests, it effects our profession and work. Therefore it plays a very very important role in a person’s life. The career of a person makes his overall public image and social status. Social status is indicated in order of importance by
1. bhava-10 public authority and leadership role
2. bhava-7 (10th-from-10th) marriage status
3. bhava-4 (10th-from-10th-from-10th) property ownership
4. bhava-1 (10th-from-10th-from-10th-from-10th) physical appearance
Marriage conditions are of high significance in social ranking and personal dignity. A strong marriage to a helpful, enthusiastic, appreciative partner can hugely assist career developments. The spouse and (by extension of the signification of 7th house) other peer partners in business and community life, can potentially double one's effect in the world, which increases the public recognition and approval defined in 10th house.
A weak marriage house (7th house) bodes poorly for one’s self-respect, and makes high levels of public approval fairly inaccessible. And while a good 10th house might "trump a bad 7th house, it's unlikely that one with a severely damaged 7th house will be able to fully ascend the ladder of social recognition, no matter how excellent the characteristics of the 10th karma bhava.
Moreover the effect of the marriage is directly related to the children. This is another important relationship and is an outcome of the marriage, all though it would never cross the mind of the young people but remember we are choosing the future parent for our child. (House 5-putra bhava).This is going to be a lifelong effect on you directly.
This is an important message for the young people. Marriage is an important relationship in life which is going to affect the future of our lives as well as that of our children, we need to make a very sensible choice of a partner. We live major and maximum part of our lives with the married partner, we need to make an informed and a very careful decision .Physical attributes will not be sufficient for a happy married life, we need much more.
Emphasizing this most crucial relationship (whose creation has been left to our choice) it would be wise to remember
· Marriage is a Living Yoga. As the old joke goes, everyone wants to get married, but no one wants to "be married”. But of course it is the "being married” which is the true reality. There is really nothing to get, except the social approval. All the work and all the reward is loaded into the "being" part.
· Marriage is actually a living spiritual environment, like a garden, which must be lovingly tended, through drought and frost, in good years and bad. It has weather cycles like the earth. Take care.
· Much like a child, it is constantly in process, constantly negotiating for change, and requires constant awareness and attention of both the partners.
· Clearly marriage is not a "thing or an "achievement but rather an interactive process. Marriage is an Ongoing yoga = a vital and supremely demanding negotiation for self-definition, core meaning, emotional security, and higher truth.
· Marriage is a sophisticated spiritual practice which needs dedication and wise guidance.
· The core of marriage practice is ongoing forgiveness, which allows us to register disappointment, anger, grief etc. Forgiveness allows one to accept responsibility for the karma, and - at the point of acknowledgement - to release the addiction to suffering, by releasing the attachment to the cause.