The married women eats whatever is gifted to her by her mother-in-law in the Sargi, which includes
- Coconut (the brown coconut with water)
- pheni (a special type of semolina which is soaked in milk before eating),
- Mithai( sweets).
And the women can add whatever else she wants to eat(no eggs and no non-veg is allowed)
Also part of the Sargi gift hamper are the items of make-up (Shingar)
The mother-in-law must gift her daughter-in-law the five important items(nishaniyas) associated with the Suhag namely
3) Red bindi,
4)red color ribbon or parandhi for the hair(loose hair is taboo) and
5) red bangles.
Small packets containing all the above are also available. It is good idea to include a small packet because women these days like to get the henna from beauty parlors or professionals. It is good idea to include some money as gifts so that the daughter-in-law can buy what ever she wants or likes.
The items you will need for the Karwa Chauth Puja
- Image of the goddess Guari or Parvati
- Karwa Chauth story book or CD + CD Player
- Matthi, pheni, fruit and sweets for bhog
- Sindur or kumkum
- A strand of red thread (called kalawa)
- Karwa (a clay vessel containing water)
- A plate for keeping puja samagri
- Money for chadawa
- Wheat flour for Diya
- bati for the Diya
- Ghee for the diya
Tonight I shall be writing about the rituals and traditions associated with Karwa Chauth. Also the auspicious time for the puja and the moonrise tomorrow.
So lets all get ready for our day for pampering!!